Monday, October 26, 2009

Alexandre for Lease..?

What do you DO when you're suddenly unemployed with 2 horses to suddenly take care of? Both my boys have lived at the ranch where I used to work. Unemployment did not take into consideration boarding costs- what were they thinking?

So what do I do? I promised Alexandre I would never sell him. And I won't. We've been together 10 of his 17 years, he's my boy. He likes trail riding. He'll do dressage. He can't jump anymore. Jasper is a 4-year-old OTTB. A dime a dozen. Sell him? He can jump. He has the potential to event. But he's all potential with not much to back it up yet. I have much more of an emotional connection to Alexandre. And my dreams lie upon Jasper's back.

So I have decided (I think) to try to lease Alexandre out on a care lease. I was firm on this decision a few days ago. I made a slideshow of pictures of him. I called the dressage trainers in the area and even put an ad on Craigslist. And Dream Horse. One lady even came out and rode him. She used to game and wants to trail ride. He kind of took off with her but she didn't seem scared. She had a lot of trouble trying to post his trot. I was supposed to look at her place today but I am procrastinating. I guess I'd prefer if he was at a boarding barn and whoever was leasing him was taking lessons... it that unfair? I think HE would prefer to trail ride. Although he prefers me.

I asked Jessica Wisdom (awesome dressage trainer in Yelm, WA) if she would like a working student for a couple of months. She said she's working on it, but they are short on space. I'm considering calling boarding barns tomorrow and asking if I can work off board...

3 comments:

EvenSong said...

Ain't it the PITS when life happens to us like this!?! It's a horrible situation to find oneself in--but we're all a lot closer than we'd like to think...

The care ease HAS to be on your terms--you need to be comfortable (if not altogether happy) with the situation. You're right that Jasper might not fare well in finding or being appropriate for a lease setting.

What a hard decision to have to make. Hopefully, something will show up on the job front SOON! Good luck.

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry about this. I feel for you, I really do. I have been off and on the verge of having to do this for the past 5 years and I've pretty much let my horses dictate my career path, because there is no way I could support them with my dream job. It is so hard to lease, even though you know you'll get him back. I hope the boarding situation works out or the working student thing. Like you don't have enough OTHER stress right now...

Albigears said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments...

I found a place today that only charges $150 per horse. I'm going to make it work!!!